[sane-devel] Is there any plan to support Web Devices Services (WDS) protocol?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:11:02 UTC 2018

On 02/05/2018 01:32 PM, Patrick Roncagliolo wrote:
> WDS is a protocol based on http connection with devices such as
> scanners, printers and so on. Most of the work is based on a bunch of
> XML schemas, that are publicly available on MSDN. Searched a lot, but
> for Linux I only found this (https://github.com/al42and/WSDolefuls),
> that fails to parse the scanner response, but succeeds to start the scan
> job.
> I tried to search around SANE for WDS support, but I understood there
> isn't.
>
> Is there a technical motivation behind the lack of support for WDS? or
> it's just not the top priority? Could it be possible to create a backend
> for this protocol? A lot of Canon printers would work like a charm with
> a single good implementation, and I think it would be the same with a
> lot of modern hardware. I could try to start a simple implementation if
> someone instructs me with the basics of the SANE internal API for
> backends and working principles, I'm a student with (not much) free time
> and it could be great to help a bit (and learn something) if possible.

This looks like a second driverless (meaning no device/model-specific
software or data (aka driver) required) scanning method after PWG's
(Printer Working Group, http://www.pwg.org/) IPP Scanning which I
mentioned in another post on this list.

It seems that WDS exists already for longer time and is already
established, so that there are actually several scanners using it. Am I
right? Which manufacturers are participating? Does it only work on
network devices? Or only on USB? Does it only work on printer/scanner MF
devices or also on stand-alone scanners?

Patrick, it would be great if you could make a SANE module for that.
Another step to making a scanner as easy to connect under Linux as a USB
stick. Also great for MF devices which happily print with PWG's
driverless IPP printing but do not support IPP scanning.

    Till