[sane-devel] Saned denies access

Stefano Bianchi bianchi at fis.uniroma3.it
Thu Feb 8 08:45:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

I followed the instructions in this tutorial

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sa...ane.d+tutorial
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial?action=show&redirect=sane.d+tutorial>

to set up a network scanner.

Everything should be set as needed. However, when I open xsane on a
client PC (I tried more than one client, with the same result), the host
saned denies access:

Feb  6 14:29:56 xxxxxxx systemd[1]: Started Scanner Service (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:46488).
Feb  6 14:29:56 xxxxxxx saned[5122]: saned (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.26git starting up
Feb  6 14:29:56 xxxxxxx saned[5122]: check_host: access by remote host: localhost
Feb  6 14:29:56 xxxxxxx saned[5122]: init: access by host localhost denied
Feb  6 14:29:56 xxxxxxx saned[5122]: saned exiting

I'm puzzled here by the fact that the access request comes from
'localhost' instead of the client IP/name. If I indeed include localhost
in the allowed IPs, the log changes into:

check_host: access by remote host: localhost
init: bad status=22 or procnum=6350304

I tried several things (add saned to lp and saned groups, modify
saned at .service, define permission rules for saned), but nothing changes.
Of course, the scanner works locally on the host. If, however, I add
localhost both in saned.conf and in net.conf, I can connect to the
scanner only locally, no second 'localhost' copy is detected by xsane
(as mentioned in the tutorial for troubleshooting).

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Stefano