[sane-devel] Epson XP-860 Scan to Computer (PDF) function

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Tue Jan 2 09:08:47 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2017-12-31 at 10:31 -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I have an Epson XP-860 multi-function printer / scanner. I am using
> Ubuntu 17.10 (amd64). The device is connected via USB and wireless.
>
> The scanner functionalist works fine from within Simple Scan or any
> other scanning application. However, when I select on the device's
> integrated touch screen console "Scan to Computer (PDF)", and then
> select USB connection, it shows the following error message:
>
>     "Communication error. Check if computer is connected."
>
> I'm assuming that in order to have this work, there needs to be some
> userland configuration on the connected machine. I was expecting that
> when I hit that button, Simple Scan or some other user selectable
> scanning application would open and the scan would begin.
>
> Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?
>
> Yours truly,

Device initiated scans require a daemon on the computer that knows what
to do when the button on the scanner is pushed. Please have a look
scanbd https://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd/. Scanbd is designed on
top of sane. The deamon continuously polls the scanner to see if work
needs to be done. It will then use saned to do the actual scanning.
Results will be stored on disk in the resolution you configured in the
scanbd configuration.

Xsane does have a button-controlled scan option that allows it to wait
for a key press as well. But that is used to delay scanning until the
key on the scanner is pressed.

BR, Louis