[sane-devel] 39ceeae6 breaks md5 auth

James Ring sjr at jdns.org
Tue Jan 2 17:57:50 UTC 2018

Hi Olaf,

I was trying to find out why authentication to a local test device
does not work with my frontend on Ubuntu 17.10.

$ scanimage -d net:localhost:test
scanimage: open of device net:localhost:test failed: Access to
resource has been denied

Both saned.users and $HOME/.sane/sane.pass contain the following line:

testuser:goodpass:net:localhost:test

I tried building sane 1.0.27 from source and could reproduce the
error. 1.0.24 built from source did not show the issue. Bisecting
reveals that the culprit is

https://anonscm.debian.org/git/sane/sane-backends.git/commit/?id=39ceeae616a2e1638c2760d4364adcaa210a413b

Reverting that commit restores the functionality. I haven't figured
out what the problem is from a cursory inspection of the code, I'll
continue staring at it.

Thanks,
James