[sane-devel] Weird behavior in exagear.

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Jan 11 12:28:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

Jeff Sadowski writes:

> It seems to be wanting .la files when I have .so files so is there a
> flag to support shared object files over .la?

The dynamic loading should look for .la files first and failing to find
those, look for .so files.  You don't need any flag for that (and AFAIK
there isn't one).

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I pulled the current git of sane-backend from
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/sane/sane-backends.git
>>
>> I did
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
>> --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var  --
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> now when I run "scanimage -L" it can't see my scanner. Is there a flag
>> I need to use other drivers than the ones it compiles as the brother
>> printer driver is a binary package?

The backends you built are installed below /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane/
as libsane-$backendname.$extension, right?  Where is the backend of that
brother binary package installed?

If it's not in the same directory, you need to tell the loader to look
in the directory where the brother binary package installed its
backend.  Let's say that is /opt/brother/sane, then you'd have to run

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/brother/sane scanimage -L

Alternatively, you can make a symbolic link to the brother backend from
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane/.  Using the same example location

  cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane
  ln -s /opt/brother/sane/libsane-$backendname.$extension

Hope this helps,