[sane-devel] [janitorial] Relocating the SANE Project

Markus Heiser markus.heiser at darmarit.de
Fri Jan 26 12:59:36 UTC 2018

> Am 26.01.2018 um 09:59 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> TL;DR :: Let's move to GitLab.com!  Mailing list TBD.

[ ... ]

> Taking this all in, and putting the mailing lists issue aside for a bit,
> I still prefer moving to GitLab.com.  In terms of repository, issues and
> merge/pull request support it offers pretty much the same as GitHub, but
> on top of that allows you to log in using accounts users may have with
> (selected) other services.  This, I think, lowers the barrier to report
> issues.  Furthermore, GitLab.com comes with CI out-of-the-box (which is
> used already by the current *unofficial* mirror, btw!).
>
> The idea of putting a repository mirror on GitHub is interesting but I'm
> not sure how pull requests and issues would work out if things are split
> over multiple sites.

Its not a show stopper: pull request can be handled by git itself,
adding the github remote repo and pull the feature branch from there
into the gitlab origin. Vice versa the github users are be able to
fork from gitlab origin this way.

 What I mean: there is no need for a github mirror.

Stay with a Single-Point-of-Definition and do not mirror, it will
only confuse the github users.

-- Markus --