[sane-devel] UMAX PowerLook 2100XL w/Adaptec 2940?

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Fri Apr 19 06:01:00 BST 2019

Hello David,
I am using a SCSI - scanner since decades.
1.) I have an udev - rule residing in /etc/udev/rules.d (may depend on your
linux distribution) called

6ß-scanner.rule

with the following content:
KERNEL=="sg[0-9]*", IMPORT{program}="/bin/sh -c '/usr/sbin/hwinfo --scanner --
only $env{DEVNAME} | sed -n s/Device\ File:/SCANNERDEV=/p'"
SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_generic", ENV{SCANNERDEV}=="?*", SYMLINK+="scanner"

(entire text in one line, "--" and "only" should not be separated by a blank
....)

You need to retrigger the udev rules after having put the file into place in
order to generate the device file "scanner".

2.) rescan-scsi-bus.sh should show the scanner (however, there will be other
devices shown like hard drives (also SATA), too):
OLD: Host: scsi6 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HP       Model: C7670A           Rev: 3925
      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

(this is my HP scanner)

3.) there should be terminating resistors on the scanner end of the scsi -
cable, otherwise you can run into all kind of trouble. That said, the harness
for the scsi - bus needs to be terminated correctly on boht ends, the end of
the controller is usually already equippted correctly so you only have to care
for the device side.

4.) last but not least: root should be able to access the device independent
of actual permissions - always.

Hope this helps

take care

Dieter