[sane-devel] PIXMA TS8300 Series not working

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Mon Oct 5 21:45:05 BST 2020

On 10/5/20 10:44 PM, Thierry HUCHARD wrote:
>> Please notice, sane-escl has got a SIGSEGV. Though ippusbxd doesn't
>> work very well, it cannot be a reason for SIGSEGV in the sane-escl.
> Thank you Alexander,
> to know if the problem comes from escl or ippusbxd, it would have been
> interesting to test with ipp-usb.

ippusbxd is the external program, sane-escl communicates with it over
network. So even if it works wrong, for sane-escl it is a kind of
invalid response from scanner. It should raise an error, not the crash.
Scanner also can send invalid response.

> I think that Yoann's installation is corrupted, the TS8300 is referenced
> in PIXMA since version 1.0.30 and despite that it is not detected!

Running IPP-over-USB daemon may prevent sane-pixma backend from access
to the USB device.

But in general I think that if some device provides both proprietary and
"driverless" way of scanning/printing, driverless should be preferred.
So although for some particular user disabling IPP-over-USB may work as
a "hotfix", from community perspective this is better to investigate
IPP-over-USB issues rather that to disable it when it doesn't work.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)