[sane-devel] Application for Epson2 Maintainership

Wolfram Sang wsa at kernel.org
Wed Apr 7 14:13:42 BST 2021

Hi everyone,

I want to apply as a maintainer for the epson2 driver.

I started working on this driver when I added focus and autofocus
support. Since then, I fixed some more bugs and cleaned up the
description files. I have a PR pending to improve the timeout
behaviour. I think I got the hang of the driver meanwhile.

My motivation: As a side project, I work with an observatory helping
them to scan their collection of photographic plates with sky surveys
from last century. We use an Epson 12000XL for that and a working driver
is crucial. So, I'd like to take care of it. Besides the above high end
and brand new scanner at the observatory, I also have an older Epson
1640SU Photo at home for additional testing and verifications. And
remote debugging by guiding users is also part of my daily work.

I have 8 years of experience in maintaining the I2C subsystem of the
Linux Kernel, so I am not new to maintaining. I know that SANE is a
different project than the Kernel, so I hope you guys would guide me
when it comes to details I might be missing.

So, I guess this sums it up. I'd like to help the SANE project here, and
hope you guys see a match.

All the best and happy hacking,

   Wolfram