[sane-standard] sane standard proposals (4) "translation"

Johannes Berg johannes@sipsolutions.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:24:55 +0200

--=-88ivsr9w/L5a9tf9Yjpv

> Well, they are responsible for using a mecahnism to translate the
> messages. It's not the responsibility of the frontend authors to
> actually translate the options or to include the translations in their
> tar ball. That's why the .po files come with sane-backends.

Ok, I have misunderstood the standard then. In this case though, the
standard should not just propose to use gettext, but require it.

> That's one of the reasons for the discussions about how to transport
> the .mo files by using SANE API calls. These discussions should be
> somewhere in the sane-devel archive.

Apologies. I guess I missed that.

> Once the translations where splitted by backend. We (I guess it was
> mostly me) decided to merge all the translations to one file per
> language. One reason is that there are many options that are used by
> more than one backend. The second is that the chaos just gets to big.
> Imagine 50 backends with 10 languages ...

Yeah, good point.

> Another way would be:
>=20
> SANE_String
> sane_gettext (SANE_String_Const text_to_be_translated)
>=20
> I don't remember why we haven't discussed that one (maybe it's too
> slow?)

I think I like this better [but the prototype would need to be

SANE_String
sane_gettext (SANE_String_Const language, SANE_String_Const text)
]
because it frees the front-end author from the gettext dependency.

> We should also keep in mind the way the dll/meta backends work: The
> response to both functions comes from the dll backend if no
> SANE_Handle parameter is added.

Thats good too though, it avoids code duplication :)

johannes

--=-88ivsr9w/L5a9tf9Yjpv

--=-88ivsr9w/L5a9tf9Yjpv--