[sane-standard] More device properties

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Thu Jan 18 04:38:22 CET 2007

Hi,

> >       * adf-alignement (string)  {centered, start, end}
> >       * adf-offset (fixed mm)
> >       * adf-side (string) {top,bottom,left,right}
> >

> i still do not understand the need for these, are they only for
> scanners that use the flatbed as part of the adf path? do they not
> have paper guides on the input chute?

They are for scanner which do not handle paper-size. However, if backend
implement virtualy paper-size, this is better ; you're right.

So, everyone is ok to add paper-width and paper-height option ? If yes,
we then just have to "fix" the "duplex" option :)

> it is not enough to have such a flag. most fujitsu adf scanners can
> do: adf front, adf back, or adf duplex, so i would need a tri-state
> option, and the name 'duplex' would be misleading.

Ok, for an enum {front,back,duplex}, what name do you propose ?

> many units have no flatbed. in those models, the 'source' option would
> be useless, if it was always adf.

The backend does not have to implement source option if it's useless.

> in models with both adf and flatbed, the 'duplex' option would be
> enabled/disabled based on setting of 'source', requiring the user to
> provide two inputs to change from 'flatbed' to 'adf duplex'.

Yes, of course. That's two options.

> and so, fujitsu and avision currently use the 'source' option to do
> this in one step. think of 'source' not as which piece of hardware
> will be used, but rather which 'location' in the scanner will have a
> paper over it. this fixes the problem of epson units with two TPU
> locations as well...

You mean that on some devices, there is two ADF : one which introduce
paper frontside, and one which introduce backside ? Do "ADF duplex" and
"ADF front" be physicaly the same source ? I'll test duplex on my HP
(the backend propose a duplex option, but i don't know if the device
actually scan duplex paper).

The idea is : if the device has two ADF mouth (front and side), then
provide both in source option. However, keep a "duplex" option. (This
might even be useful for both ADF :P).

Thanks.

Étienne.
--