[sane-standard] More device properties

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Thu Jan 18 16:39:04 CET 2007

Hi,

> > So, everyone is ok to add paper-width and paper-height option ? If yes,
> > we then just have to "fix" the "duplex" option :)
>
> only you and i are speaking now. that is not everyone :)

This is a question. :)

> no, i mean that the scanner has two or three read-heads, and can use
> any one of them, or even two of them at once. that is the 'source'
> IMHO.

Ok. I think that a source is a combination of a feeders+read-head. How
does the backend handle two image at once ? How is this handled by
sane_read ?

> i agree fully with the idea of well-known option _names_, but
> do not see a need to also enforce a series of _values_.

Well knowm option types should also be considered. About values. The
problems with variable string for the same value are :

      * How to translate ?
      * How to make backend-independent code (real generic code) ?

Of course, If the device has more than three sources, then you must
extends the standard. I think we must redesign source standard in order
to handle such case. Using ADF is not bad :).

Frontend programmers should not read each backend documentation, only
SANE standard. That's the purpose of the standard.

Étienne.
--
Verso l'Alto !