[sane-standard] More device properties

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Thu Jan 18 21:21:35 CET 2007

Hi,

> Think about the scanners, where the feeder moves a document onto the
> glass pane, and where the scanner make an "ordinary" flatbed scan.
> Here it makes indeed sense to know, from which side a document is
> moved onto the glass pane: If a frontend has a selection list for
> document sizes, and if the the scanner's firmware has "no idea"
> about paper sizes, the frontend must calculate the scan window
> coordinates for the flatbed area.

I prefer the backends normalize hardwares : some hardware automatically
handle paper-size, others don't; this is to the backend to emulate this
behaviour then, not the frontend.

I really join allan in this : we should keep only the two simple options
paper-width and paper-height and let the backend determine if he add to
modify internally {tl,br}-{x,y} or not.

I suggest that SANE standard states that if source is adf (and its
friends), then scan window is relative to paper top left corner
according to paper size (which is by default equal to scan area). With
source set to flatbed (or similar), then scan window is set relative to
scan area.

Étienne.
--
Verso l'Alto !