[Secure-testing-team] trackers and webpages

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Aug 15 16:43:13 UTC 2006

* Micah Anderson:

> I'm not actually sure what it is now, it might just need someone to
> request it again, start the threads asking why it hasn't happened
> yet.  There was some discussion abut how the data should be hosted
> on official debian machines, and that there was some optimizations
> that needed to be done before this could happen. Florian would have
> some information about this.

The system is designed to work without access to privileged Debian
databases and therefore needs a local mirror of package metadata.
This mirror needs about 500 MB last time I looked (probably more
today).  On top of that, there is the actual database at about 100 MB,
which is copied twice during updates.  Updates also need plenty of CPU
cycles.  My impression was that Debian currently hasn't got a suitable
machine to run this service.  The current one isn't very beefy,
either, but it's (almost) dedicated to this job--there is no risk that
this service will be turned off to reduce load.

Unfortunately, it will take at least another month until I'm able to
work on making things more efficient.  It's also not clear to me if
this is a top priority, or if I should try to fix #357942 first,
and pay some attention to Moritz's wishlist.