[Secure-testing-team] Updates for testing-security track page

Francesco Poli frx at firenze.linux.it
Fri Aug 18 19:35:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:02:31 +0200 Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Francesco Poli:
>
> > Now, I'm giving a look at
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/secure-testing/
> > I cannot find many copyright or permission notices around...
>
> The source files which actually contain valuable IP has the GPL
> boilerplate.

I don't know what you mean by "valuable I[ntellectual] P[roperty]".
Do you think that the scripts that I found license-less are not
copyrighted?
I really doubt they can be considered as uncopyrighted...

I would be very pleased to see every piece of software you use to manage
Debian security released in a DFSG-free manner...

> The tracker_service.py file is a border case; it depends on an
> unpublished (but GPLed) program called servinvoke.
[...]

What do you mean by "unpublished (but GPLed)"?

Do you have a copy and was it distributed to you under the GPL?
If this is the case, you can distribute it to anyone you like and even
publish it.

If you do not have a copy, how can you know that it's GPLed?
Are you trusting someone else who received it under the GPL and told you
so?
Isn't he/she willing to distribute it to you or to other people?
If not, why?

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_