[Secure-testing-team] debsecan announcement

Moritz Muehlenhoff jmm at inutil.org
Thu Jan 19 11:59:28 UTC 2006

Florian Weimer wrote:
> I intend to send a real debsecan announcement to debian-devel and
> debian-security.  A draft is included below.  Comments are
> appreciated.

Before bringing this to a wider audience more false positives and
non-issues should be weeded out (or at least document it very
clearly that most are theoretical issues, that do not affect your
system's security in a real-world situation, e.g. by setting the
display default to >= medium).

E.g. the first four entries in the list of "vulnerabilities w/o
updates" for my notebook are all more or less moot:

CVE-2004-0175 Directory traversal vulnerability in scp for OpenSSH...
  <http://idssi.enyo.de/tracker/CVE-2004-0175>
  - ssh, openssh-server, openssh-client (remotely exploitable)

CVE-2004-1617 Lynx allows remote attackers to cause a denial of...
  <http://idssi.enyo.de/tracker/CVE-2004-1617>
  - lynx (remotely exploitable, low urgency)

CVE-2004-2531 X.509 Certificate Signature Verification in Gnu...
  <http://idssi.enyo.de/tracker/CVE-2004-2531>
  - libgnutls11 (remotely exploitable, low urgency)

CVE-2005-0406 A design flaw in image processing software that...
  <http://idssi.enyo.de/tracker/CVE-2005-0406>
  - libmagick9, imagemagick (low urgency)

Cheers,
        Moritz