[Secure-testing-team] Dealing with a (perhaps) incompetent maintainer

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:50:31 UTC 2009

Hi all,

While dealing with the libtool issue, I've had to deal with the proftpd
maintainer [0].  I don't want to make an rash judgements, but he seems
incapable of resolving the issue.  He keeps closing the bug (with
some unprovoked harshness in the latest round).

Of course, compared to other issues, this is minor (and he claims that
the matter should be fully dropped since it is a "non isssue"), but my
goal is to accurately track all issues, and he is making that
unnecessarily hard for this one. If we let the current bug status
stand (as closed), that package may be shipped with the vulnerable code
in squeeze, which is rather undesirable.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice on how to handle this.  Maybe
I should step back and let someone else step in?  It really shouldn't
be this difficult.

Thanks,
Mike

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/559842