[Secure-testing-team] Vulnerability impact on issues

Nico Golde debian-secure-testing+ml at ngolde.de
Wed Oct 28 17:05:00 UTC 2009

Hi,
I just had a chat with Raphael about the impact levels we currently set for
vulnerabilities in the tracker. We both came to the conclusion that our
current way of assigning that is rather sub-optimal.

At the moment we try to judge the impact, the bug type, the availability of
the issue and our priority which often is not easy to connect and we end up
with situations where it is very hard (not to say random) to set the impact.

Classifying security issues is a really hard task and known to be flawed. So I
think it's time to change what we are currently doing.

What about just setting what priority the issue has for us? We can't properly
classify the impact with three levels anyway.

Instead I propose we let the levels like they are but use them with the
meaning of priority. The tracker already says urgency so we need to change our
documentation regarding that and maybe optionally displaying the CVSS score
might be helpful (I know this score is flawed as well but it's better than
none).

Opinions?

Cheers
Nico