[DSE-Announce] Backport updates, selinux-basics package, syslog-summary patched

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Thu Jan 5 02:22:21 UTC 2006

Hello,
I've updated the backports to match the current unstable packages, so
there is now a backport of python2.4-semanage, too. You don't need to
install libsemenage1-dev any more.

I've also created a selinux-basics package (not yet tested). The package
is mostly empty right now; it depends on some of the core selinux
packages, and it contains an init script to fix /dev and /var/log/wtmp
which are often mislabeled on my systems.
I intend to add other stuff, such as disabling the "find" cronjob,
later.

I've patched syslog-summary and uploaded it to
http://people.debian.org/~erich/syslog-summary/
It will now strip the timestamp after "kernel audit" to better summarize
the log entries. This is quite useful in combination with logcheck
then...
It doesn't strip the PID field yet, so summarization isn't perfect yet.

Oh, and if you are interested, I have a policy file and some setup
instructions (for the latter, see my blog) for running
enemies-of-carlotta as mailing list server with postfix. The policy
isn't yet completely tested, and it has some not-so-nice rules (mostly
file descriptors being passed from the postfix delivery domain to the
postfix sendmail domain...) I'll have to see if I can work around.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
   To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\