[DSE-Dev] reproducable builds

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Jan 3 12:11:24 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 1:03:13 PM AEDT Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> Le 01/01/17 à 21:47, cgzones a écrit :
> > I rioted in the debian/rules file and got the build reproducible for me:
> > https://github.com/cgzones/debian-package-refpolicy/commit/8de642c8d1ddd10
> > c09a1d1521eeb4e0a1da6bfff
> >
> > I think the only reproducible error was the missing --sort=name option
> > to the tar command.
> > I used the approach over here:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/ExperimentalToolchain#Usage_exa
> > mple
> Thanks for the patch, I indeed think that calling tar with "--sort=name"
> is the solution. It requires tar >= 1.28 but fortunately that version is
> also in "jessie-backports".

As an aside last time I checked the refpolicy from unstable didn't build in
Jessie and the tree I have for Jessie (in my private repository) doesn't build
on unstable.  I don't regard this as a bug, so we should have that version of
tar anyway.  But a build-dependency on that version of tar might make sense.

> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/FileOrderInTarballs
>
> For the rest of the patch (the cleanup) I'll try to review that later
> (could you split the changes in multiple patches like one to cleanup the
> white space and other(s) for the rest of the change, that would made the
> things easier I guess).

Thanks both of you for your good work.  I'm sure it will be great so once you
both agree just check it in to git.