[Shootout-list] New benchmark?

Greg Buchholz sleepingsquirrel@member.fsf.org
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:57:26 -0800 (PST)

--- Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If an implementor decides to use a different algorithm, it
> > tells us that the original algorithm was hard to code in that
> > language, or it resulted in an ugly, unmaintainable program.
> > Or a much more natural approach was available in that
language.

> All we know is that they used a different algorithm.
> Maybe it's the only one they know.

  Do we have any evidence to support the notion that novices are
going to submit (and have accepted) worse and worse performing
solutions as time goes on?  Aren't the programs generally going to
converge to something respectable (for at least the more
mainstream languages)?  But I sense we're now begining to talk
past one another, so we might have to agree to disagree.

Greg Buchholz