[Shootout-list] Selection of Languages

Einar Karttunen ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 1 09:45:10 UTC 2005

Hello

I think when selecting which languages to integrate into shootout we
should look at:

* How common the language is?

This is fairly trivial.

* Does the language have a developer interested maintaining the programs?

Is there someone wanting to keep the language updated? Personally I
think such people could be allowed to get CVS access easier - but
that is debatable...

* Is there already something very similar in main page?

Do we really need five different Java implementations on the main page?
Same for four Scheme implementations. It would be nice if the language
folks could pick up just a few implementations to the main page...

Personally I would rather see Scala, Io and maybe even Felix than yet
another Java implementation added to the main page.

- Einar Karttunen