[Shootout-list] Selection of Languages

Eric Lavigne lavigne.eric at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:02:58 UTC 2005

> * Is there already something very similar in main page?
>
> Do we really need five different Java implementations on the main page?
> Same for four Scheme implementations. It would be nice if the language
> folks could pick up just a few implementations to the main page...

I don't know about Java, but Scheme implementations vary so widely
that they might as well be different languages. Scheme itself provides
only a small core of features, a very small portion of what a typical
Scheme implementation provides.

That aside, I have found this whole discussion rather confusing. The
creator of a language shows up, offers to take care of all benchmarks
for that language, and he is told to take a hike? What is so terrible
about this language that anyone would consider declining such an
offer? Looking at the long list of languages already included in the
shootout (some of which have almost no benchmarks completed), I was
never under the impression that it was restricted to mainstream
languages only.

Eric