[Shootout-list] Selection of Languages

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 16:39:13 UTC 2005

--- Einar Karttunen <ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
-snip-
> * How common the language is?
> This is fairly trivial.

And is "how common" a positive or negative? :-)

iirc Brent's intention in reviving the Shootout was to draw attention
to less well known languages (aka Scheme). I share that motivation, and
that's why I've worked on Clean and Smalltalk and Oberon programs.

As a context and counterbalance for the obscure languages we have Intel
C and C# and Java and Fortran and Ada...

> * Does the language have a developer interested maintaining the
> programs?

No - we need to see 'interest' turned into working programs.

You'll find several Feature Requests for languages, with assurances
that programs will be written and sent real soon now...

(Apologies to the Groovy guys who actually have sent a good number of
programs).

> * Is there already something very similar in main page?
>
> Do we really need five different Java implementations on the main
> page?
> Same for four Scheme implementations. It would be nice if the
> language
> folks could pick up just a few implementations to the main page...

We already did that, and there were complaints.
We may do that again, and I'm sure there'll be more complaints ;-)

> Personally I would rather see Scala, Io and maybe even Felix than yet
> another Java implementation added to the main page.

We really should show another Java implementation - Java 5.
We really should show a prototype based language - JavaScript.

(Incidentally, I completed 15 of the old benchmarks in Scala almost a
year ago, maybe one day we'll install the compiler.)