Fwd: Re: [Shootout-list] Science-related benchmarks (speedoptimisation)

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Sun, 1 May 2005 18:28:00 +0100

On Thursday 28 April 2005 18:23, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> --- Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:
> > this is a really interesting question. it does sound
> > sensible to compare
> > two compilers for the same language. but why stop
> > there? why not compare
> > the normal compiler/runtime switches (vanilla) with
> > the best possible
> > combination of compiler switches (all-flavors)?
> > because that is even
> > more interesting.
>
> Yes, this could be done.

Just out of curiosity, most of the OCaml programs seem to be compiled with
lines like:

/usr/bin/ocamlopt -noassert -unsafe -I /usr/lib/ocaml/contrib -ccopt -O3
-inline 100 harmonic.ml -o harmonic.ocaml_run

A lot of that is probably unnecessary. Can you use:

  ocamlopt -unsafe -inline 100 harmonic.ml -o harmonic.ocaml_run

instead?

It is also quite likely that "-unsafe" will produce no performance
improvements on many benchmarks and "-inline 100" may slow some programs
down.

Also, I think it would be good to require bounds checking on at least some
benchmarks as it often requires little to no extra code but is good for
rooting out bugs.

Objective CAML for Scientists