[Shootout-list] Organisation for numerical tests

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Wed, 4 May 2005 18:45:33 +0100

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 13:40, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Are there problems not dominated by array access?
>
> Are there problems not dominated by io?
>
> Are there problems where a good approach doesn't require destructive update?

The "n"th-nearest neighbour program from my book is not dominated by array
access or IO and a "good approach" (simple and efficient) is to code the
mathematics directly (non-destructive update).

Specifically, computing the union of two sets represented by balanced binary
trees can be done more clearly and efficiently by reusing parts of the
(immutable) inputs in the output, rather than by destructively inserting the
elements from one input into the other (mutable) input (overwriting it) to
produce the result.

I think it will make a great shootout benchmark for exactly these reasons,
provided I can make it short enough.

Objective CAML for Scientists