[Shootout-list] Targa decoder

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 03:45:42 +0100

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 00:01, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Would a Targa decoder be a suitable benchmark program?
>
> http://www.dadgum.com/james/performance.html

Nice article. I think something along those lines would be a good idea but
run-length encoding is probably so simple that you'd only end up measuring
memory or even disk speed.

An arithmetic or LZW compression algorithm might be more appropriate (although
I think these would still be too simple). Keeping to images, how about a 2D
Haar wavelet transform to compress the data? Hmm, actually that's given me an
idea...

Objective CAML for Scientists