[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 02:07:22 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55AAF.1275E4E0

skaller wrote:
...deleted
> Perhaps it doesn't, but the point is the same: we're not
> testing the language involved in ANY of these cases,
> in all cases we're comparing C libraries.

this has been discussed in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-March/001167.html

and
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-April/001688.html
(just a selection).
it boils down to the need of a ''external library rule'' for the shootout.

...deleted
> My opinion is: we should count lines, and ALL lines including
> comments and blanks, and make sure the tests are all equally
> nicely spaced and commented.

while this is a very high quality suggestion is suffers from beeing high
maintenance, too. however, do not be put down by this. the faq already
supports this solution:

''We reserve the right to format the code entries as we see fit''

ie, we are supposed to read the code anyway. why not make sure the test
is nicely spaced and commented, at the same time?

bengt

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55AAF.1275E4E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2658.2">
<TITLE>Re: [Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>skaller wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>...deleted</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Perhaps it doesn't, but the point is the same: =
we're not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; testing the language involved in ANY of these =
cases,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; in all cases we're comparing C =
libraries.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>this has been discussed in </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-Marc=
h/001167.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list=
/2005-March/001167.html</A> </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-Apri=
l/001688.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list=
/2005-April/001688.html</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(just a selection).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it boils down to the need of a ''external library =
rule'' for the shootout.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>...deleted</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; My opinion is: we should count lines, and ALL =
lines including</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; comments and blanks, and make sure the tests =
are all equally</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; nicely spaced and commented.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>while this is a very high quality suggestion is =
suffers from beeing high </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>maintenance, too. however, do not be put down by =
this. the faq already </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>supports this solution:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>''We reserve the right to format the code entries as =
we see fit''</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>ie, we are supposed to read the code anyway. why not =
make sure the test </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>is nicely spaced and commented, at the same =
time?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>bengt</FONT>