[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
18 May 2005 01:42:03 +1000

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 17:10, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > My opinion is: we should count lines, and ALL lines including
> > comments and blanks, and make sure the tests are all equally
> > nicely spaced and commented.
>
> Counting commented lines does not make much sense to me, while
> counting non-commented non-blank lines makes sense. One should
> not be penalized for having a larger header comment.

Why not? If you language is hard to read and you
need more comments to explain it, it deserves
to be penalised. IMHO. EG some special hack in C
which saves time and LOC, but which requires
in-depth understanding of the C Standard's rules
about sequence points DESERVES to be penalised:
good programmers should write that kind of C.

OTOH I would not like to see some tests gaining
an advantage by omitting a reasonable amount
of commentary.

Yes I know this is a matter of personal taste and
judgements, but I can't see anyone getting too upset
about what 'reasonable' commentary means.

Recall in my view LOC should play *some* part in
the final rankings, but performance and memory use
also count, so hopefully arguments about one line
of comments won't be too heavy ;(  .. argg .. lol ..
I'm probably wrong on that :)

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia