FFI woes - (Was [Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks)

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
19 May 2005 00:25:40 +1000

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 23:52, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> This is getting a little bit off-topic...

No it isn't. We're talking about how various languages
interface to C .. and I would certainly think this is an
important characterisic of a language which has a strong
influence on choice of tools -- even if you're not
going to write such an interface yourself it influences
the availability of third party interfaces.

So discussion about measuring such an important factor in the Shootout
is not at all off topic, although it may be premature.

Let me say I have learned a lot about Haskell, Eiffel, and Ada,
just from a few lines where the FFI's were exhibited by people,
I'd love to see a bit more (like Foreign 'function' interfaces
are all very well but what about types?)

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia