[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Thu, 19 May 2005 13:05:15 +0200

skaller wrote:
...deleted

> However, this doesn't mean comments should not cost:
> in the real world it not only takes time to write
> executable code -- it takes time to write comments.

true. especially if there is a prescribed company standard header for
files and functions.

> In fact I would contend that writing good commentary
> is both harder and takes longer than writing code!
>
> Consider that the actual code doing the work *also*
> costs, you're really arguing that people will drop
> comments because they cost LOC, but do not improve
> performance.
>
> Well, isn't THAT the problem that we need to fix?

the current loc does not count comments. so what we are here talking
about is a potential new locc system that counts both code and comments,
right?

yes, it would be a good thing if the code-complexity metric of the
shootout switched form beeing loc to a better system. i have not heard
of such a system. i have not searched extensivly.

bengt