[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 05:49:36 +0100

On Friday 20 May 2005 05:36, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> On May 19, 2005, at 6:56 PM, John Skaller wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 13:30 -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> >> --- Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> How can we judge if a declarative language meets
> >> an imperitive specification?
> >
> > By the output.
>
> What if the output was precomputed?

I think you two may be talking at cross purposes here. When Brent said "How
can we judge if a declarative language meets an imperative specification?", I
think he expected the answer "you can't".

When Skaller said "By the output", I think he meant "You can't, you should
just just check the output".

So I predict that you're both going to say "let's ditch imperative
specifications by specifying the problem to be solved rather than the CPU ops
which must be performed to get there after we buy Jon a beer". Am I
right? :-)

Objective CAML for Scientists