[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 11:48:05 +0100

On Friday 20 May 2005 11:02, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> On 2005-05-20 02:25, Jon Harrop wrote:
> ...deleted
>
> > programs. Any data structures and algorithms can be used. For each
> > language, the shootout should contain the fastest program <100 LOC or, if
> > there are none, the shortest program >100 LOC.
>
> does this mean that if a fast and verbose language (>100 LOC) is
> sufficiently important to slow down, then somebody would spend time on
> making a shorter, but slower solution?

Yes, exactly.

> i do not say this is always a bad thing, i only wonder if this
> potentially could be a problem?

I can't think of any cases where this could be a problem. I believe it will
cause the programs to reflect that fact that programmers who use more verbose
languages tend to code simpler approaches.

Objective CAML for Scientists