[Shootout-list] fannkuch (timer resolution; HZ=1000?)

Greg Buchholz sleepingsquirrel@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Christophe TROESTLER <del-con@tiscali.be> wrote:

> The point is that the variation is so big w.r.t. the running time
> (25%) that it shows the program should run longer to avoid random
> effects to take such an importance in the result.

    Quite a few people have been discussing the 0.01 second timing
resolution that the shootout uses.  This sounds suspiciously like it
might be limited by Linux's timer resolution.  The default value used to
be 10ms (HZ 100), but I thought that changed with 2.6 kernels (to
HZ=1000).  Is the debian 2.6.8 kernel that the shootout uses a stock one,
or does debian do some munging of their own?  Is this a problem that
could be solved by recompiling the kernel?

Anyone in the know?

Greg Buchholz