[Shootout-list] gcc-4.0 trashes gcc-3.4 on AMD64

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 26 May 2005 19:09:40 +1000

Just a brief comment and a suggestion: treat translator
versions as different. Here's why:

gcc-3.4 with the fastest flags I could find, running takfp
on an AMD64, takfp.c 11 gives:

6.5 seconds (approx)

With the same flags running gcc-4.0:

4.3 seconds (approx)

It would seem gcc-4.0 is VASTLY superior to gcc-3.4 at optimising
certain kinds of functions. Note this is no systematic study ..
however I did run each test a couple of times :)

Perhaps it would be interesting to compare a few gcc versions
on the same C code? This could be a lot more useful to someone
considering the pain of upgrading gcc.

One more comment: I find the first run of a test almost invariably
slower than the second. I think this is due to caching effects.
I wonder if anyone else has observed this?

John Skaller, skaller at users.sf.net
PO Box 401 Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia Ph:61-2-96600850
Download Felix here: http://felix.sf.net