[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Tue, 31 May 2005 17:09:54 +0200

On 2005-05-25 14:28, John Skaller wrote:
...deleted
> In my opinion, on the benchmarking side (as opposed
> to the web site), it is quite easy to write any
> code to do anything. The HARD part is design (as usual).

how about the folowing file system layout?

<top>/src
	/bin
	/computers
	/limits
	/tests
		/wc
			/n
			/expected_result
			/description
			/setup
		/x
			/n
			/expected_result
			/description
			/setup
	/langauges
		/c
			/translator
			/src
				/wc.c
				/x.c
		/awk
			/translator
			/header
			/src
				/wc
				/x
	/metrics
		/c-wc-<n>
		/c-x-<n>
		/awk-wc-<n>
		/awk-x-<n>
	/doc

<root>/tests/x/expected_result could be several files since the result
is different for each ''n''. some results are so big that it might be a
good idea to have each result in a separate file, even though most
results for many ''n''' would fit in a single file.

<root>/metrics/awk-x-<n> would be the time stamped metric from the
''n'' test run. the last line of all these files would be the latest
result.

<root>/tests/x/setup could build the largest needed environment (files?
servers running? etc), could take ''n'' as an argument or could be
several files (one for each ''n'').

<root>/langauges/awk/header would be the place to find the awk
interpreter (#! /bin/awk). i think this would be easier. ie to build the
script (translator) from header + source, instead of editing all the
source with the proper location for the interpreter.

bengt