[Showme-devel] Debianizing Beaker

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Sep 4 18:25:52 UTC 2015

Quoting Kristoffer Rose (2015-09-03 16:25:14)
> The Beaker team at Two Sigma is considering contracting the team
> (minus me, obviously) to build Debian packages for beaker-notebook.
> (Ideally for unstable, stable, oldstable, ubuntu.)

Great! That sounds very promising.

Let's first package targeted unstable, and only then (when we know what
we really are dealing with) consider backporting for stable or oldtable.

NB! There's no way we can get Beaker Notebook officially into Debian
stable or oldstable, only informally via e.g. backports.debian.org.

I will package only for Debian, not Ubuntu (they have derived too much
for me to do a proper job at that). I won't stand in the way of others
(from the team or elsewhere) working on that, as long as any non-Debian
tweaks do not interfere with Debian packaging (e.g. tracked at same
Alioth git but in a separate branch).

I guess Two Sigma will pay for the initial work but not maintenance.
That has the risk of encouraging fast'n'dirty packaging to quickly
collect our reward.  I won't be part of such approach.  Instead I'd like
us to try hard to guesstimate the work needed to get it *carefully*
packaged, to ease later maintenance (and eventual later backporting to
earlier Debian releases, and/or side-porting for derivatives like
Ubuntu).

> I think it would be natural for Jonas to lead the team, but I also
> think it would be helpful to discuss how such a contract (on just the
> debianization) should look to be helpful for the project, and it would
> certainly be helpful to discuss how to size it!

Thanks for your confidence in me, Kris.  I can take the lead, if others
are ok with it.  So $others, what do you think?

 - Jonas