[Showme-devel] Timeline/deadline questions

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 29 12:55:54 UTC 2015

Quoting Siri Reiter (2015-09-29 12:42:15)
> On 29-09-2015 12:09, Siri Reiter wrote:
>> Attempting to create a timeline [1] provoked questions and needs like
>> this:
>
> As an afterthought, I don't think just "burping" out questions, like
> like I just did, is a very inviting or creative approach. Ideally my
> own opinion should be offered alongside (whenever I have one).

Good point! :-)

>> * How much time do we give the participants from signing up to
>> delivery deadline? Can we set a participant deadline?
>
> I think at least three months. They need time to organize themselves,
> research and develop alonside schoolwork and what not.
>
> So we need to be ready to launch counting back that time from our
> deadline.
>
> Deadline is related to how much time we need to evaluate and choose,
> and how much time is needed ahead of DebConf16 to sign up the
> participants. Of course we can reserve the space ahead.

Learning from past experiences might be good here: Our contest model was
chosen because of a previous similar contest held in New York.

@Kris: Could you try (harder) at getting learning experiences from that
past project for us?

@Bernelle, Graham?

>> * What kind of support are we going to/ capable of/ willing to give
>> the participants? What kind of support is needed?
>
> I suspect we can create an IRC channel and a mailing list to this
> purpose. Create a FAC page.

IRC, email and wiki documentation sounds sensible, but...: Let's rely
only on each of those when we actually have them:

@Everyone: Join existing IRC chatroom #debian-in on OFTC.net: Practice
"hanging out" online and try evolve from that to "guiding others" which
is a challenge different from guidance in a physical setting.

@Vasudev: Perhaps you have experience administrating a chatroom and want
to create and host e.g. #debian-showme?  Or anyone else?

@Everyone: Write guidance to students on the wiki.  Install either
iPythin Notebook (in Debian so easy to install, but has limited use) or
Beaker Notebook (more complex to install and may not be ready in time,
but more rich use and possibly has concrete sample files for this type
of contest) and document on the wiki how use them.

@Kris: Can you get documentation and demo Notebooks from the previous
contest?

>> * How much time do we need to evaluate the projects?
>
> I figure at least three weeks.

@Kris: Again knowledge from prior contest would be really helpful here.

 - Jonas