[Showme-devel] Timeline/deadline questions

Bernelle Verster bernelle at indiebio.co.za
Wed Sep 30 08:05:22 UTC 2015

Hi

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Kristoffer Rose <krisrose at debian.org> wrote:
> Dear Everyone,
>
> I have materials I can share about previous competitions, just need time to
> enter it in the wiki (it is paper).

Kris, if it's not too confidential, feel free to scan to pdf and share
with us? I don't mind reading through and putting on wiki...

> My proposal to Two Sigma for sponsoring the competition itself will include
> a proposal to send someone to Cape Town, probably in January, provided we
> can line up the local teaching resources for a "crash course in data
> analysis" (similar to what we have given to campus recruiters that have run
> our datathons so far). So there is still stuff to discuss...

Random idea, is there a MOOC (massive online open course, e.g.
edx.org) or other general resources out there that could help too? It
makes sense to use whatever can help, as long as it has the open
ideology and/or no conflict of interest.

> Cheers,
>   Kris
>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Siri Reiter (2015-09-29 12:42:15)
>> >
>> > As an afterthought, I don't think just "burping" out questions, like
>> > like I just did, is a very inviting or creative approach. Ideally my
>> > own opinion should be offered alongside (whenever I have one).
>>
>> Good point! :-)

+1

>> > I think at least three months. They need time to organize themselves,
>> > research and develop alonside schoolwork and what not.

Sounds good, but let's see Kris's docs.

>> > So we need to be ready to launch counting back that time from our
>> > deadline.
>> >
>> > Deadline is related to how much time we need to evaluate and choose,
>> > and how much time is needed ahead of DebConf16 to sign up the
>> > participants. Of course we can reserve the space ahead.
>>
>> Learning from past experiences might be good here: Our contest model was
>> chosen because of a previous similar contest held in New York.
>>
>> @Kris: Could you try (harder) at getting learning experiences from that
>> past project for us?

>> > Maybe a local can answer this.
>>
>> @Bernelle, Graham?

DebConf16 will be in the university [1] and in the school [2] holidays.

>> > I suspect we can create an IRC channel and a mailing list to this
>> > purpose. Create a FAC page.
>>
>> IRC, email and wiki documentation sounds sensible, but...: Let's rely
>> only on each of those when we actually have them:

+1

>> @Everyone: Join existing IRC chatroom #debian-in on OFTC.net: Practice
>> "hanging out" online and try evolve from that to "guiding others" which
>> is a challenge different from guidance in a physical setting.

done (indiebio)

>> @Vasudev: Perhaps you have experience administrating a chatroom and want
>> to create and host e.g. #debian-showme?  Or anyone else?
>>
>> @Everyone: Write guidance to students on the wiki.  Install either
>> iPythin Notebook (in Debian so easy to install, but has limited use) or
>> Beaker Notebook (more complex to install and may not be ready in time,
>> but more rich use and possibly has concrete sample files for this type
>> of contest) and document on the wiki how use them.

ooh ooh me please! I'll bug Graham to help me. Maybe the old Beaker
that the other competition ran on? I can be your guinea pig entrant.
Please also see my write up on the open hardware stuff at DebConf15
[3], just to show my commitment to this project (if you're interested,
you may want to do a search for 'ShackLabs' on that site which is my
proto-name for my rough ideas ... but this is off on a tangent)

[1] - http://www.uct.ac.za/calendar/terms/
[2] - http://wced.school.za/documents/calendar2016.html
[3] - http://indiebio.co.za/open-hardware