[Simple-cdd-devel] firmware udebs in dvd

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Sat Apr 29 02:26:20 UTC 2017

On 2016-07-22, Javier Marcon wrote:
> Hello, when creating the installation disk, I needed the installer to
> configure the network card, so I created the file custom.udebs with some
> udebs listed:
>
> firmware-realtek
> firmware-atheros
> firmware-brcm80211
> firmware-ipw2x00
> firmware-iwlwifi
> firmware-linux
> firmware-ralink
> firmware-ti-connectivity

Since most of these come from non-free, and maybe contrib, you'll need
to enable those repositories. In profiles/custom.conf:

  mirror_components="main contrib non-free"

And since they're .deb files, and not .udeb files, you need to add them
to a profiles/custom.packages instead.

But this will only add the packages to the media; at the moment, there's
no simple way to add firmware files with simple_cdd. It might be
possible to add an option by customizing tools/build/debian-cd, much
like the "all_extras" variable is handled. I'll look into it.

> But I also need some big stuff distributed with the installation disk,
> so I added the content and used the --dvd option to build the image. The
> problem is that firmware is not added to the disk, I get a lot of errors
> like:
>
> libisofs: WARNING : Can't add /firmware/firmware-linux_0.43_all.deb to
> Joliet tree. Symlinks can only be added to a Rock Ridge tree.

I am not sure what the issue with the symlinks is, it is hard to know
without knowing your full configuration.

live well,
  vagrant