[Simple-cdd-devel] How to enable manual partitioner

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Thu Feb 1 19:37:16 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-01, fin4478 fin4478 wrote:
> Installers made with simple-cdd uses fixed partitioning scheme and I
> would like to remove the swap partition because there is enough RAM in
> modern PCs and my distribution is targeted to gaming computers.
>
> The manual partitioner does not start. Using partman-auto/expert_recipe
> in default.preseed does not recognize the  mountpoint{ / } type and the
> installer does not find the root partition.

You'll need to override the preseeding for partitioning with your own
profiles/NAME.preseed file. At a quick look, profiles/default.preseed
includes:

  $ grep partman-auto profiles/default.preseed
  #d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/discs/disc0/disc
  d-i partman-auto/method string regular
  #d-i partman-auto/purge_lvm_from_device boolean true
  #d-i  partman-auto/init_automatically_partition select Use the largest continuous free space
  #d-i partman-auto/init_automatically_partition       select  Guided - use entire disk
  d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe  select All files in one partition (recommended for new users)
  #d-i  partman-auto/choose_recipe  select Desktop machine
  #d-i  partman-auto/choose_recipe  select Multi-user workstation

You'll definitely want to change partman-auto/choose_recipe, for
example. There may be others.

> BUG: the profiles/name.postinst file does have no effect. Only way to
> have the documented effect is to use d-i preseed/late_command string
> sh /cdrom/simple-cdd/desktop.postinst in the name.preseed file.

I'm fairly sure I've tested this on recent versions. If you have a bug,
please report it to the debian bug tracking system so the issue can be
tracked properly, ideally using reportbug or some other tool that
ensures the bug report has relevent information included.

live well,
  vagrant