[Soc-coordination] Preparing a press release

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Fri Aug 11 00:09:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 12:03 +0100, Baruch Even wrote:
> We would like to start preparing a press release about Debian
> participation in Google Summer of Code. Could the mentors and students
> please provide status updates?

I am currently working on a graphical front-end to our bug tracking
system, i.e. a program which could be used to contribute to bug reports
and to manipulate their status. It is written in Ruby. Before that I
worked on a Gnome front-end to reportbug, written in Python.

The latter worked in trivial use cases. Basically it exports the CLI
interface, which was already present, as a Gnome druid[1]. There are
still some issues with relation to pygtk's interaction with the real
Gtk, and there were also some connected to threading. That's why I did
not yet submit this patch upstream.

With relation to the BTS front-end: It is going well currently. But I
started working on back-end classes, so I had not much to present[2]
until this week. I am still not ready for a 0.1 release, though (again
threading issues with blocking LDAP calls; and the bug change submission
is not yet exported to the GUI, though implemented in the back-end code,
together with the mail sending code needed).

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

[1] Those are known from Gnome configuration screens. The widget
provides a consistent GUI, although I am not pleased with its look.

Some screenshots could be found here:
 1) http://blog.philkern.de/uploads/soc/reportbug_package_selection.png
 2) http://blog.philkern.de/uploads/soc/reportbug_configuration_mode.png

[2] Some screenshots: