[Soc-coordination] Feedback / Suggestion / Discussion topic collection

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Sat Sep 30 09:26:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 02:18:06AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd really appreciate your feedback about the summer of code, how it
>went for you, and how you think it could be improved. I guess you may
>have written down some information already in the questionaire by
>Google, but again I don't have access to them.

That's something that can easily be fixed. Unless anybody objects,
I'll send you a dump of the surveys that we submitted.

A quick summary of the project I mentored: Carlos worked well on the
NG debian-cd implementation, despite having to schedule his work
around exams. He didn't quite get as far as he originally hoped, but
made a huge amount of progress and I'm hoping to start using his code
in anger for official builds soon. I feel slightly guilty - I don't
feel that *I* spent enough time on the mentoring side, but thankfully
it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Then again, I expect that
Carlos and I will spend more time working together in the future as we
put his code into production. It'll balance out... :-)

That might be a useful thing to ask of the mentors/projects - how do
they plan to use the students' code, and do they expect the students
to stay involved maintaining it or to just hand it over?

>Maybe to point out that Google Summer of Code is doing a good thing by
>paying "external" students to get them involved with the projects, and
>not paying e.g. "insiders" to do something. And that all the extars
>mentors get is a free t-shirt. And eventually a flight to Mountain
>View... I was afraid that a similar discussion to dunc tank might arise
>here, but apparently few people were keen on going on that trip.

Yup :-)

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of