[Soc-coordination] Summarising

Loïc Minier lool at dooz.org
Wed Sep 19 09:30:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Mentors, can you please give me summaries of how your projects went
> this year. I'm planning on posting to d-d-a and copying the google
> list too, so some ammunition would be useful! :-)

 Concerning the bug-triage project, the project went really fast in the
 first period, and at a calmer pace in the second period; I should have
 taken more time to mentor GSoC at the beginning of the second period.
   Technically speaking, the project reached most of the planned
 milestones, but did not go exactly as I imaginated: I pictured an
 advanced GUI application permitting complex tasks and using complex
 heuristics for advanced features, but what happened instead is that
 more time was invested in the lower level stacks (the Python bindings
 to access and manipulate Debbugs and Bugzilla bugs).  In the end, this
 is probably better outcome than a do-it-all application because we can
 always write new applications based on these stacks; it's also good for
 people like me who tend to write specialized Python scripts to achieve
 some tasks, and I'm happy we secured that ground.
   During the project, my student -- Gustavo -- learnt a lot about
 packaging of Python applications, usage of git, programming in Python,
 and programming in general, and I think it turned out as a rich
 experience for him.  I'm really happy that he had the occasion to
 discover and learn about new technologies and techniques and about
 software architecture in general as I think this is an important aspect
 of GSoC.

--
Loïc Minier