[Soc-coordination] Debian SoC summary for live-magic project

Chris Lamb chris at chris-lamb.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 17:48:45 UTC 2007

Soc-coordination,

I was mentored by Daniel Baumann in this year's SoC, and we worked on a
project to create a graphical user interface to Live Helper (a collection of
programs that can be used to build Debian Live images).

I decided to call the project "live-magic" as all the Debian Live tools have
the prefix live-, it has a wizard interface, and seemingly performs magic. :)
I also like Queen.

More information on what the project's original goals can be found here[0].

The current status of the project is:

- Can create Live images using a wizard interface (old animation here[1]), and
  an 'expert' mode for further tweaking.
- Package entered Sid 2007-08-25. There have been 3 subsequent uploads.
- Has an undocumented Python interface to Live-helper, which could form the
  basis of a Python web application to generate customised liveCDs from the
  web.
- Can easily adapt to the API of live-helper so that it doesn't lag behind.

In general, I think this project has been successful.

However, a number of bugs still hold back the application as being as
polished as similar tools from other distributions. I intend to continue
working on live-magic and the other Debian Live tools so these issues should
be resolved in the future.

I hope Steve, Daniel and Luk have fun in CA. :)

/Lamby

[0]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-live-devel/2007-March/001029.html
[1] http://lamby.uwcs.co.uk/b/live-magic-wizard.gif (Warning: 3MB GIF)

--
 Chris Lamb, UK                                      GPG: 0x634F9A20