[Soc-coordination] Ranking of the proposals ?

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Wed Apr 2 20:26:45 UTC 2008

Hello Moritz,
> E.g. applicants for netconf could be given a list of ifupdown/iproute
> bugs, where they can pick a few. If they propose a proper patch or
> discuss the bug in more depth, this could help rate their qualifications
> better.

IMHO, giving the students some small tasks to prove their committment
and some basic skills is a good idea.
What I don't like it that this increases competition amongst students.
I want to encourage cooperative behaviour; I've always been encouraging
people to publicly post their project proposals, discuss them etc.
I'm afraid such 'assignments' might lead to some rivalry.

For example, require people to publicly post their patches, even if they
are afraid others might 'copy' them to get good marks. So please make it
obvious that this is not the only thing we judge them by, but it
actually is more of a measure to make them show commitment and dive into
the related codebase of ifupdown and iproute.

Actually I'd pose the task somehow like this:
---
Please have a look at bugs in the ifupdown/iproute packages, especially
bugs #123,#456,#789 that might be related to your GSoC project. If
possible, contribute a patch to fix these bugs. The goal of this task is
to get used to issues with the current system, so you get some ideas how
netconf could improve on this. Please write a short summary on the
things you learned and ideas you got for netconf.
---
Just to make it clear that we're not going to judge them by the number
of bugs they fixed, but we'd like to see them learn how these things
work.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
     You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason:     //\