[Soc-coordination] Applications and mentoring

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Fri Apr 11 15:13:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:28:04AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I am willing to mentor (by myself, or jointly)  mentor the
>  following projects:
> |-----------------------------------------------+------------------|
> | Project Name                                  | Applicant        |
> |-----------------------------------------------+------------------|
> | Merging of configuration files during updates | Max Wiehle       |
> | Porting MergeMaster to Debian/GNU system.     | Alexey Mikhailov |
> |-----------------------------------------------+------------------|

For the record, so am I, if only because I initially wrote that idea on
the wiki. Though I'm not familiar with any internals of dpkg and/or ucf,
I am somewhat familiar with FreeBSD's way of handling config files,
which might help. Having said that, I do think Manoj would be a better
mentor.

>         Both of these propose to add merging functionality directly into
>  ucf and dpkg conffile handlers. While I am somewhat rusty with dpkg, I
>  do have a modicum of understanding about ucf :-)

Hmm, why would that be? ;-)

>         Since these projects talk about merging configuration files
>  during upgrades, several different policy directives are in play, and
>  again, I think  I think I'll be able to help out in the area of policy
>  compliance (without which these projects will be non-starters for
>  Debian proper.

Yeah, true.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22