[Soc-coordination] Status update for Debian in SoC 2008

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Sun Apr 13 02:22:43 UTC 2008

Hi Charles,
> then maybe it would make sense to take into account the mean of the
> scores instead of the sum?

You can't just squash everything just by throwing more technology at it.
First of all, right now we can just use Google system, instead of having
to do our own ranking system. Furthermore, we can currently easily tweak
the results in the final rankings after internal discussion without
having to fight some ranking system.
Thirdly, the interest of mentors in applications is also not totally
irrelevant IMHO - if the mentors aren't very interested in the project
that isn't a very good starting situation. If at least one mentor is
really interested in the application and feels it doesn't get enough
attention, he should use IRC etc. to draw more attention to it.

One suggestion though:

If you have time to review SOME applications, don't start at the top.
FOCUS on the ones just above and just below the line. That is like
applications #7-#20 or so. Just pick some random ones here.

8 people have reviewed the current top project, only 5 (with 3 having
given a rating) have reviewed #15; only 3 have reviewed #16.

If we review only those we're seriously involved in, results will be
biased. So please review some others, too.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
     erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
            There are only 10 types of people in the world:           //\