[Soc-coordination] Update: provisional number of slots is *still* 10

Manoj Srivastava srivasta at acm.org
Mon Apr 14 06:07:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:29:37 +0200, Fabio Tranchitella <kobold at kobold.it> said:

> Hello all,
> * 2008-04-14 01:45, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> This is now looking unlikely. Leslie has just posted a new list to
>> the mentors list this evening, and we're still listed with 10. I'm
>> going to try and argue our case tomorrow for more, but (in her words)
>> "there are only 60 slots left, and there are 175 organizations, most
>> of whom would likely want to mentor additional students".

> Especially after this news, I'd like to ask to all mentors to read and
> score the PAM/NSS proposal. I really think it is a valid idea and a
> good proposal, but the opinion among the mentors is not clear yet.

> Thanks in advance,

        Are we actively promoting our favourite proposals?  If so, the
 merging configuration files during upgrade are also valid ideas and
 goot proposals; and one of the students has recently updated the
 comments and added a pointer to a detailed time line.

        However, before everyone breaks out into an impassioned plea for
 their particular proposal, may I suggest we can the campaigning and
 tell people to review _all_ proposals near the cusp, to see if we are
 drawing the line at the correct point? Our favourite proposals might
 not turn out to be the ones pulled above.

        manoj
--
Having the fewest wants, I am nearest to the gods. Socrates
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta at acm.org> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>