[Soc-coordination] Update: provisional number of slots is *still* 10

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Apr 14 10:35:00 UTC 2008

On 14/04/08 at 02:51 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Here is my take on this (each top level item is worth one
>  point), in order of importance:
>  - Useful project
>  - Relevance for Debian

OK

>  - Good application design
>     + Clear goal

OK

>     + Good design (no NIH, uses available resources, clean design)
>     + Clear set of fine grained tasks
>     + Estimation of time required for tasks
>     + time line and milestones

Applicants are students, sometimes quite young. They are not engineers.
You can't expect them to provide a perfect design at this stage,
especially if the student isn't a Debian developer yet. It's the role of
the mentor to provide design ideas, and to split the project into tasks.
What you are evaluating here is: "did the student asked enough questions
to the possible mentors while he wrote the proposal?"

I would rather have apps that shows us why the student is a good fit for
that project, than apps which just show the student's skills are
annoying his possible mentors.

If we publish criterias next year, I think that we should drop all those
criterias, or we will just get flooded by questions that don't need to
be answered at this time.

>  - Student skills and back ground

OK

My take on this would be something like:
<---
Your proposal should include the following information:

- what are you going to implement? (describe in detail) Which problem
  are your trying to solve? How is it useful for Debian? How does it
  differ from the current state of things in Debian? If it will require
  some changes to other parts of Debian, please describe them.

- Why are you a good fit for this proposal? Why are you interested in
  this proposal? Which of your skills will be
  useful? Have you done similar things? (Describe them.)

Optionally, you can include a rough schedule, but no need to annoy the
possible mentors about that. We know that writing a schedule is
difficult, especially if your knowledge of Debian is currently limited.
--->
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |